Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Sylvilagus Floridanus




I have lost my love for four-footed fuzzy hoppers over that last few months. Because we had a record snowfall, the chickenwire cages many people put around their shrubs were not tall enough, and all around the neighborhood there are shrubs and small trees that are girdled 3 feet from the ground. I was fortunate in that I mistakenly purchased very tall chicken wire (4 feet) for my shrubs, most of which are so small that they were completely buried by snow, anyway. My 2-foot blueberry bush (which will bloom any day now) looks very comical with a 4-foot high chicken wire barricade around it:


Now that the snow has melted, the bunnies are continuing with their witless destruction. They eat whatever they happen across. I found this in my garden this morning after chasing two courting rabbits out of the yard:

I started by simply covering everything new I planted with chicken wire. I don't have a garden, I have a prison for wayward perennials.

Next I moved up to chemical deterrents, Liquid Fence and Fox Urine, which contain putrescent eggs, urea crystals, and garlic oil. I can't say that they have been completely successful, because I still find bunnies in the yard. But they may be preventing them from eating the stuff I sprinkle it directly on, since some unimprisoned perennials have not gotten chomped (yet).

I'm considering a fence across the last easy-bunny-access area, but I'm shy about discussing it with my neighbor, and I don't know if I have it in me to put anything more than green metal fence posts with chicken wire (again).

Here's my dream fence, in Tyra's Garden: http://waxholm.blogspot.com/

No comments: